Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A little story from Melissa... passed along from her favorite seester

So, I know that Melissa didn't have a lot of time to go into detail about her adventures so far. But, I recieved an email from her with a couple of  stories that I wanted to pass along. Wait until you read about her sweet little sister...made my heart smile. I know she won't mind...So here you go:

She passed along the message not to send packages to her yet...They said that packages to this Kant Post office hardly ever make it hear so hold off sending packages until i'm at my permanent site. If you already sent something, fingers crossed that it makes it here :)

 I am with my host family, they are incredibly sweet. My Apa has a gold grill....AWESOME!!!I have a six year old sister who is adorable and definitely makes things much less akward. The language is really tough and it's hard not being able to communicate with my host family but everyone says to just be patient and the languagew will come. I haven't been able to access my blog yet. The interenet cafe's that we've been using haven't allowed me to g\access my blog...so hopefully I can figure that out soon!

I've had some funny cultural moments...there are plenty of american movies that play here that are dubded over in russian or kyrgyz. So far i've seen Jurassic Park and Inspector Gadget. Then one morning my sister and brother (who's 22) were all having breakfast and there was this singing/dancing show and everyone was performing to michael Jackson. It was pretty entertaining! Oh and I can't wait to get some pictures to you guys...the mountains are SO SO SO incredible. And I have some really adorable pictures of all these little girls that live on my street. Everyday when I come home from school my little sister and the neighborhood girls are waiting for me and they run down the street calling my name and they all fight over trying to hold my hands. The one day they picked me flowers and then put some in my hair, so sweet! Totally makes my day!

So far I've only had one moment where I had a little breakdown. I was having breakfast and my Apa (mom) was quizzing me on a bunch of vocab words and my brain is just so overloaded that I couldn't remember any of the words and I started to get all teary eyed and had my first moment of "what am I doing here?!" But it passed really quickly and things now seem to be getting familiar and just the way life is.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are adjusting well. Only one break down...I'm so proud of you!!! Happy 25th birthday! I don't know what they do there for birthday celebrations but I hope you didn't have to divide the goats head.lol We all love you and miss you lots!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete